Below are some websites and programs that we use at Orchard Heights to further develop student learning. A username and password is required for some sites/programs, which can be obtained from your child’s teacher.
Academic Curriculum Links:
- Our K-5 English/Language Arts (ELA) curriculum is Journeys from Houghton Mifflin: http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/reading/core-reading-programs/journeys
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmFge1ei30M a video introduction to our ELA curriculum
- Our 6th grade ELA curriculum is Springboard: http://springboardprogram.collegeboard.org/english-language-arts/
- Our Science curriculum is Foss:.http://www.fossweb.com/
- Our Health curriculum is The Great Body Shop: http://www.thegreatbodyshop.net/
- Our K-5 Math curriculum is Envision from Pearson: http://www.pearsonrealize.com/#/ this is your student's Pearson portal
- TumbleBookLibrary: The TumbleBook Library is a collection of TumbleBooks(animated, talking picture books) with fiction, non-fiction and foreign language titles, Read-Alongs (chapter books with sentence highlighting and narration but no animation), TumbleTV which consists of pre-set playlists of a sequence of books, Tumble Puzzles & Games, and Tumble Resources for teachers and students.
- Tumble Book Cloud: TumbleBookCloud.com Junior is an online collection of ebooks and read-along chapter books, graphic novels, educational videos, and audio books! It’s designed specifically for elementary and middle schools. All books are available with unlimited access, all the time, from any device with an internet connection.
STAR/Accelerated Reader (AR): Many teachers require their students to read a certain number of quizzable books per trimester to improve their reading comprehension. This is the website that students use at school to take comprehension & vocabulary quizzes.
Accelerated Reader (AR) Bookfind: This program will help your child find a quizzable “just right” book at his/her reading level. Many teachers require their students to read a certain number of quizzable books per quarter to keep up on their reading comprehension.
Xtramath.com: is a free web program that teaches addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts which are critical to success in mathematics.
Discovery Education: Most kids have difficulty with their homework from time to time as do the parents trying to help! From earth science to subtraction, past presidents to proper use of punctuation, help is here when you need it.
Typing Quest: helps students improve their keyboarding skills. Students must logon with usual district network logon and password. Typing Quest maintains student's progress so he or she continues the typing lessons from the point they ended.
5th Grade Camp: The Outdoor Education Program encourages students to become ecologically literate, responsible citizens, in an experiential learning environment. The program utilizes an interdisciplinary approach to promote the appreciation of our natural surroundings and the values of community living. Our aim is to teach students the concepts of sustainability and inter-dependency outside of the classroom walls.